Dog owners sent warning over ‘toxic’ Christmas decorations and presents | Science | News


How deaf and blind dogs are trained by loving owner

Many people like decorating their houses with plants that match the festive season and give the place a warm “outdoorsy” smell. However, as pretty as holly and mistletoe can be to spruce up the house with, some of the most common decorative plants can be extremely harmful to our pets.

The pet insurance experts at money.co.uk have shared a list of 10 Christmas plants that are toxic to pets and what precautions you can put in place to keep your pets safe if these plants are in the home.

It’s important to remember if your pets consume any of these toxic plants, contact your vet straight away.

10 most toxic winter plants for dogs and cats:

Holly – If the berries or spiked-edge leaves from a holly plant are ingested, this can result in irritation of the mouth, drooling, gastrointestinal upset (such as vomiting), and diarrhoea.

It may also cause excessive head-shaking if consumed in large quantities.

Dogs with mistletoe

Mistletoe can cause vomiting and abdominal pain (Image: GETTY )

Mistletoe

Mistletoe (Image: GETTY )

Mistletoe – Though varied in types, the berries from mistletoe contain chemicals including polysaccharides, alkaloids, and lectins which are harmful to both dogs and cats.

When ingested in small quantities, it can cause gastrointestinal irritation such as vomiting and abdominal pain.

Consumed in large quantities, it may cause abnormal heart rate, low blood pressure and incoordination.

Poinsettia plants – Widely known for their bright red and green festive foliage, the milky white sap from the coloured leaves contains a chemical that could cause not only nausea, vomiting, drooling and diarrhoea, but also irritation in the skin, mouth and oesophagus.

READ MORE: Dachshund owner’s hilarious trick to stop dogs escaping goes viral

Poinsettia Plant can cause nausea

Poinsettia Plant can cause nausea (Image: GETTY )

Christmas trees – If the pine needles from Christmas trees are chewed, the oils released may cause irritations in the mouth as well as stomach upset.

Due to the prickly nature of the needle, these could also be hazardous to the mouth, throat and stomach if ingested.

Ivy (Hedera species) – Ivy can cause severe skin irritation if pets come into direct contact with this plant. If ingested, ivy can also cause stomach upsets.

Amaryllis – The whole amaryllis plant contains toxic substances, but higher quantities are contained in the bulb, so be careful of pets who like to dig.

DON’T MISS 
Covid horror as ANOTHER new variant discovered in France [REVEAL] 
Archaeologists make ‘significant’ find at Mary Magdalene ‘birthplace’ [REPORT] 
Musk humiliated as Cybertruck’s ‘comically large’ flaw exposed [INSIGHT]

Prickly christmas trees can be hazardous

Prickly christmas trees can be hazardous (Image: GETTY )

If consumed, they may experience severe gastrointestinal upsets (such as vomiting and abdominal pain), loss of appetite, lethargy and tremors.

Lilies – Dangerous for both cats and dogs, if any part of a lily is ingested (even in small quantities) this could cause severe gastrointestinal damage, which may lead to kidney failure for cats.

Laurel – Laurel plants including bay laurels (which are often used in cooking) and cherry laurel, contain toxins located in all parts of the shrub which cause vomiting, abdominal pain, hypotension and in extreme cases, muscle weakness and even seizures.

Snowdrops – These small white flowers contain toxins in their stems and leaves, with the highest concentration in the bulb.

Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy (Image: GETTY )

When ingested, they can cause abdominal pain, vomiting, incoordination as well as a drop in heart rate and blood pressure.

Yew – All parts of this plant, (including the leaves and berries) are highly poisonous as they contain taxines.

When ingested they can cause vomiting, weakness, breathing difficulties and in critical cases, life-threatening change in heart rate and blood pressure.

Salman Haqqi, pet insurance expert from money.co.uk said: “Pets are often curious creatures and can be found chewing anything around the house, especially at a young age.

Amaryllis Flower

Amaryllis Flower (Image: GETTY )

“While decorative plants can add a bit of life to your interior during winter, it’s important to remember that these could present problems if consumed by your furry family members.

“Taking the necessary steps, such as placing plants out of reach or adding barriers will help to ensure that pets do not ingest or come into contact with them.

“If your four-legged friend does consume a toxic house plant, it’s important to seek expert help and advice from your vet as soon as possible.”





Source link